If you were working hard and saving that extra money to buy a new bag, don’t drop it on some printed tote you can wear only with a few outfits. Be wise and try to buy timeless, fashionable piece, that looks good with everything. What about Chanel? Most of their bags will never go out of style, including famous Chanel Classic Flap and Chanel Reissue 2.55 bags.
But wait. Is there any difference between these two? Sure it is!
Some girls claim both are the same thing. Some of them believe there is only one difference – the handle. Other would swear they have also a different leather, sizes and locks. The truth is all of them are right. Are you confused? So let’s clear things up, Chanel Reissue 2.55 vs. Chanel Classic flap bag:
- Lock – The first, minor, yet very important and significant distinction is lock. While the Classic Flap Bag has the double CC turnstyle lock, the Reissue has rectangular shaped, “Mademoiselle” lock.
- Handle – The Classic Flap Bag doesn’t have just a normal, all chain handle like the Reissue one. You don’t even have to be very careful to see that Classic has leather interwoven between the chain links.
- Leather – The Reissue has vintage looked leather, whereas the Classic comes in either Lambskin or Caviar, that is made to seem more new. Of course, both of them are high quality, although Classic one is more scratch resistant.
- Flap – All the sizes of Chanel Reissue bag has an additional inner flap, while the biggest Classic Flap Bag (Jumbo) has just a single flap.
- Sizes – Both of the mentioned bags comes in various shapes and sizes, but there are some differences betweeen them. You can get the Classic Flap only in three sizes, while the Reissue comes in five, although the extra large is very rare.
Detail: Chanel Reissue 2.55
The original one was released in february 1995 and its name refers to this date. There are a lot of details on this bag that were made by famous Coco Chanel herself. She was raised by the nuns in the orphange and a lot of inspiration comes from this part of her life. For example, the chain shoulder handle remindes her of the belts of her caretakers, the burgundy color of the inside refers to the color of all the children’s uniforms.
Without this timeless piece, the other famous Chanel Classic Flap Bag wouldn’t even exist. But it’s not the original bag from 1955. In 2005 Karl Lagerfeld re-made the original 2.55 one, since it was the bag’s fifties birthday. That’s why it’s known as Reissued.
It comes (as mentioned before) in five sizes:
- The Baby 7.5” x 5.75” x 1.75” – $1,795
- Small 9.75″ x 7.06″ x 2.16″ – $1,895
- Medium 11″ x 8″ x 2.5″ – $1,995
- Large 12.25″ x 9.18″ x 2.5″ – $2,095
- Jumbo 14.2″ x 9.8″ x 3″ – $2,495
Photo: Chanel Reissue 2.55 handbag (click for large image) ↓
Detail: Chanel Classic Flap Bag
The Chanel Classic Flap Bag is the modern version of the Chanel Reissue 2.55. It was born in 1980, when Karl Lagerfeld added the interlocking double C closure and leather interwoven chain. It is definitely a Chanel’s signature bag and everyone has to admit that it’s just a pure magic.
It comes only in three sizes:
- Small – 9″ x 5.5″ x 2″ – $1,495.00 Caviar
- Medium – 10″ x 6″ x 2.5″ – $1,595.00 Caviar
- Jumbo – 12″ x 8″ x 3″ – $1,695.00 Caviar
All of them are also available in lambskin, but be prepared to pay $100.00 more for this material.
Photo: Chanel Classic Flap bag made from lambskin (click for large image) ↓
Is one of them better than the other?
It’s really hard to say. If you prefer vintage look, go for Reissue. If you like modern, but still elegant and luxury look, choose Classic Flap Bag. However, you can’t go wrong with any of them! By the way, do you know that Chanel bag prices increase over time?