Kate Spade: Fashion Designer Biography

A famous designer, Kate Brosnahan Spade, with full legal name Katherine Noel, was born in December 24, 1962 in Kansas City Missouri.  Kate is former co-owner of famous designer handbags brand Kate Spade New York and in 2016 launched new brand called Frances Valentine.

Early Childhood

She was born December 24, 1962 in Kansas City Missouri. She studied at St. Teresa´s Academy after Notre Dame de Sion prep-school which was the Catholic high school.  Later, she graduated from Arizona State University in 1985. Her field of study was journalism. There is not much known about early childhood of Kate Spade among public.

Career

After school, she had a job at motorcycle bar. Later, she became a member of Kappa Gamma Sorority. She worked for the prestigious Mademoiselle magazine and spent there five years. It is interesting that she met Andy Spade there and since then they have been a couple.  Her position was a senior fashion editor.  She was responsible mainly for the accessories.

After five years, she left the job. She saw and learned in this job about the business with handbags, so she decided to produce handbags herself. She started to introduce elegant and stylish handbags under her own brand Kate Spade New York in 1993.  She is known especially for her trademark black nylon bags and she has also built accessories business and devotes to stationery and other new markets.

In 2004 she wrote three books: Manners, Occasions and Style. In the same year she launched home line of bedding, bath items, dishes and other useful things for households.

Despite successful business, she decided to sell it after 6 years. In 1999, Nieman Marcus Group bought 56% of Kate Spade New York finishing the aquisition in 2006 by buying the rest 44% of the company. Straight after, Nieman Marcus Group sold the company to Liz Claiborne Inc., which was later known as Fifth & Pacific and changed its name to Kate Spade & Company in February 2014.

Today, Kate Spade New York has over 140 retail shops and outlets in the US and more than 175 shops in other countries, which is more than 300 shops worldwide. It’s also possible to buy products of Kate Spade online. Certified shops are Farfetch.com, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdale.

She had her first baby in February 2005 – daughter. Her name is Frances Beatrix. Later, she invested in Plum TV – which is a small network which broadcasts famous elite and luxurious places for holidays.

Frances Valentine

After few years rising her baby, Kate Spade jumped into fashion business once again. In 2016, Kate and her partners launched a new brand – Frances Valentine. Handbags and shoes are designed in New York and produced in Italy, Turkey, Spain and Brazil. The names Frances and Valentine comes from her family.

Personal and family life

Kate has married Andy Spade, co-worker form Mademoiselle magazine in 1994. Couple lives still together after more than 20 years in relationship. Andy’s brother is famous american actor and comedian David Spade. Her niece Rachel Brosnahan is also an actress, however with small roles still waiting to get more famous.

Awards and Honores

Kate has won many prizes during her life. She was awarded by the Council of Fashion Designers of America, then another award by the same organization in 2004. Later, she received the award for bedding, entertaining and food and designing tastemakers (House Beautiful’s “Giants of Design Award in 2004).

Among other awards are Bon Appetit’s “American Food and Entertaining Award for Designer of the Year” and Elle Decor’s “Elle Decor International Design Award for Bedding”.

Kate’s fashion is really original and unlike all girls from America. Her husband has been supporting her all the time and their work has been appraised by many loyal fans and customers.

Kate Spade Photo

Name: Katherine Noel Brosnahan

Born: 24.12.1962 (Kansas City, Missouri, USA)

Nationality: American

Spouse: Andy Spade

Brands: Kate Spade New York, Frances Valentine